SCB Services can offer both robotic and hand lance hydrodemolition. This system uses high pressure water to remove concrete without damaging the reinforcement.
The advantages of hydrodemolition over traditional hammers / breakers are:
- No vibration. Traditional demolition hammers will cause vibrations, which in turn can cause micro cracking in the surrounding concrete structure. This weakens the structure and leaves it prone to future defects as the cracks provide an easy access route for moisture, chlorides and Co2. The Swedish Cement Research Institute (CBI) has estimated that hydrodemolition repairs can last 21-35 years, when compared to mechanical break outs, with a life expectancy of 7-12 years.
- No damage to the steel reinforcement.
- Silica dust can cause lung cancer, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and silicosis. The high-pressure water prevents the silica dust from becoming airborne and virtually eliminates the risk.
- Superior bond of subsequent repair materials. Subsequent pull off tests are much higher, than substrates prepared with hammers.
- Larger hydrodemolition pumps and robots will be significantly faster and safer than operatives using traditional hammers.